Since teenage years acne is a part of growing up in almost everyone’s life. Given the poor surrounding conditions, the pollution, the dust, humidity, and the unbearable heat of our country it is difficult to maintain pimple free skin. Here we present a simple guide to pimple treatment for you.
Pimples occur due to 4 main reasons:
- Increased skin turnover.
- Increased Oil production.
Here are some basic tips to prevent and treat acne.
1. Cleansing: Pimples are a result of excess sebum production. Sebum is an oily substance produced by some glands present in the skin. Washing away sebum with a mild cleanser 2-3 times a day will help prevent acne and control present condition. Do not use tough soaps, these may damage the protective barrier and cause more harm than good. Salicylic acid containing cleansers work very well against acne.
2. Keep your hands away: Not touching your face not only reduces your risk of deadly corona virus, it also helps prevent acne. Surprized!!!! Our hands carry dust and germs which accidentally gets deposited on our face in the pores. This increases the chances of inflammation resulting in pimples.
3. Choose your cosmetics wisely: Select your makeup according to your skin type and surroundings you stay in all day. Do not buy on celebrity advertisements only. Take professional help if you have trouble finding the right products.
4. Basic self-treatment: Mild acne usually settles with a good salicylic acid / benzoyl peroxide face wash. Local clindamycin application also lessens pimples. However, do not make a habit of popping pimples it may increase the inflammation and make the condition worse leaving scars.
5. When to see the doctor: Frequent multiple episodes of acne needs specialized treatment. You may need to be assessed for certain other hormonal conditions such as PCOS, hyperandrogenism etc. In case these conditions are present they need to be treated along with acne.
A word of Advise
A word on acne marks…. Pimples seem to pose a problem even after they have gone. Acne marks ruin the most beautiful of faces. Fortunately, now we have state of the art LASER therapies and top-notch skin treatments to say goodbye to them.
It is best not to indulge in certain local ointments such as those containing retinoids, and over the counter antibiotics, without the guidance of a specialist. We believe these simple steps can guide pimple prevention and treatment at home in most cases.
Also read our blog on skin care by Dr Vaishali Srivastava
Stay safe, stay healthy, stay beautiful!
Dr Vaishali Srivastava (MBBS, MS, Mch Plastic surgery)
email us at essencecosmeticsurgery.com or call us at 9968539463/9711707831